Wednesday, June 20, 2012

my thoughts for today


You know what amazes me?  The Lord's timing.  It's almost as if He has a plan in place and if I listen, I will be guided.
Just a couple of examples.


I have been on the fence about parent-partnership alternative learning programs.  These are programs run by the school district where in a student is enrolled as a full time student yet most or all of the learning happens at home under the direction of the district.  Sometimes financial assistance is offered by providing some curriculum.  Sometimes extra-curricular activities are also available.  I see value and harm being done there.  I see political dangers already happening in other states and countries because of them in the form of liberties being taken away and see the potential of those limitations happening here.  I had always kept the idea of using this program in the back of my mind as a possibility.  After all, I have used public and charter schools in the past when needed, but I never really thought it would happen.  Now it is.  Not only have I enrolled Steven, who I felt would benefit the most, but all of them.  I am not even all that annoyed at my extra reporting requirements.  Huh, I am surprised as you are, but I guess the time has come.  I am a freedom loving American who becomes amazingly frustrated when her liberties are curtailed.


I have never been big on vaccinations.  I know it is a hot topic and I don't want to debate it.  I have looked at both sides and am not impressed with either.  Both use anecdotal evidence to make their point in an effort to scare people into their point of view.  Neither have put the time and money into proper, real studies.  At least not enough to convince me one way or the other.  In an effort to do my best I have generally waited until the child is at least 1 year old, give or take.  Rebecca a little earlier because we were spending a lot of time at the charter school and I felt she would be at greater risk.  Isaac a little later because the idea was completely taken from my mind.  But after a bad experience with Rebecca's last vaccination three years ago I had decided to just skip them all together.  I was even on the point of going through the hassle of getting the WA state exemption form for school.  And then, one day the Bishop mentioned getting vaccinated because of the whooping cough "epidemic" going on and it hit me kind-of funny.  Later that night Jonny asked me what I thought of the Bishop's over-the-pulpit council.  We decided that now was the time to get the three younger kids updated.


I have run my home and home school quite casually.  I have allowed the kids to take the lead in much of their choice in learning topics.  That is changing too.  We are becoming much more scheduled and rigorous.  I am requiring much more from the kids in terms of what is studied and how it is studied.  Consequentially, I am using a lot more formal curriculum options. Again, not just for Steven who needs it more as he prepares for high school next year, but for everyone.  Even with running the household, I am changing; I actually want to have schedules.  For the longest time I felt that a schedule cramped my style.  Then I realized that my style was a mess.  I didn't like it.  I wanted order.


I do think it is interesting though:  We each have our own experiences and perspectives.  Although we think we are open minded, we (at least I), deep down think that I really do know what is best for others.  But it is not always that simple.  There are times and seasons.  I have friends who have been way structured who are now struggling to become un-so.  I attended the Washington State Homeschool convention last weekend; I heard so many voices.  Some say that child led is best, some parent led.  Some like literature based learning, others are adamant about textbooks.  Some like computer based learning, others oppose.  Some like learning through games, other's like projects.  Yet each is THE BEST WAY TO LEARN.  Each is the best way to learn for someone at one time or other and each is the absolute wrong choice for someone else at least for now.  For me it is all in the timing. 


I am leaving TJEd (Thomas Jefferson Education: an educational philosophy that I have followed) in many ways.  There was a time I thought it was the best choice for just about everybody. (I suppose the questions of whether or not I am leaving TJed would depend on if you were using the broad or narrow definition.)
Some should vaccinate on time and on schedule.  Others should not.  For me it is apparently all in the timing.
With my home scheduling, it is something I have had to grow into.  I was not ready to commit a few years ago.  Now I am.  I need to overcome bad habits I grew up with.


But when someone makes a new discovery, I think he or she really does believe that at some level their choice would be best for everyone.

Anyway.  In the midst of my ramblings, I hope you saw a bit of a point:  That, outside of the saving ordinances of the gospel, many choices are so very personal.  What is right for one is not necessarily right for another, at least not today.

Then a different type of timing, but still under the category of the Lord's timing.
I have dreamed of having a home with acreage, fruit trees, chickens, bees, a garden, greenhouse, and maybe more live stock.  Then, when we weren't even really looking, we found it.  Jonny is nervous because it seems to good to be true.
You don't think you deserve it, do you?
No. (A little while later...)  I sure don't like this intersection though (It is an awkward intersection to get there.)
Well, good.  It's not perfect.  You can hate the intersection and feel that you deserve the home.

Well, this is what is on my mind today.  Have a fabulous first day of Summer.









4 comments:

  1. It's so great to read an update on you! :-)

    By the way, I don't think you're abandoning TJEd-- you still are following those principles because you are doing what's best for YOUR family. ;-)

    I'm excited to hear about your future adventures! (And to see pictures of your new house, hint-hint...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      Yes, that is the funny thing about TJed. Because "I am the expert in my home" and they are "educational principles" that need to be applied individually, as long as I am mentoring and using the classics, I am doing TJed. I feel as though I am leaving. At least leaving TJedland, as I call it.

      I will get some pictures up soon. Maybe I will record "moving day" for posterity's sake.

      love you
      Flora

      Delete
  2. Flora, I just discovered your blog. I love this post. I agree with you whole-heartedly about timing. This is a lesson I have been learning too. I read your most recent post, about your house. All I can say is WOW!!!! Are you renting or buying? I am so happy for you - and very envious!!! Love and Miss you! Kortni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kortni!! I'm glad you found me.

      We are renting, but the owners said they would be willing to sell. Maybe someday we can afford to. But for now, we are planning on staying as long as we can ♥

      Delete