Monday, October 8, 2012

Conference Time

General Conference was so good this time.  I think I say that every time - probably because I need it.  Every Six months seem to be just about perfect; just when I am needing that spiritual boost and recharge.

I was a little nervous about how it would go.  We usually watch it at home, online.  I watch it and catch as much as I can while kids run around and get what ever they get out of it and Jonny sleeps through the first sessions and may or may not catch any of the rest.

This time we don't have high speed internet, so our only option is going to the church to watch it. Things to consider:

  • I knew I wanted to go to all the sessions (there are 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday with the Priesthood session on Saturday evening that I do not attend).  
  • When we were kids we listened to the sessions on the broadband radio and went to the church for Sunday afternoon. 
  • I knew Jonny would not want to go out of his way to attend.

So I came up with a plan.
I would attend all; we would all attend the Sunday Afternoon; I would take Joshua with me and one other child per session.  Jonny and Steven could go to the Priesthood session.  That way they would all get at least two.  Jonny signed off on this plan.

Then I improved it. (add bribery) I got some special treats to bring for conference.  This is special because I do not bring treats to church and because they are things I don't usually get.  (cheese sticks, fruit snacks, fishy crackers and candy corn.)  Consequentially they exceeded my expectations.

Saturday morning I had Josh, Becca, Daniel, and Isaac.  Afternoon I had Steven and Josh.  Sunday morning I had Josh, Becca and Daniel (apparently Isaac was planning on it too but he wasn't ready at the time, and I didn't realize he was wanting to go.  I left without him.  He was terribly sad and I had to ask his forgiveness which he gave even though he was still sad.)  Then we all went Sunday afternoon.  As I expected they were having a hard time sitting by Sunday afternoon, but they did well.

I would not have asked that much of them, but we all got more out of it than we usually do.

The announcements about the age changes for missionaries and a new curriculum for youth are exciting.  The reaction to the age change was fun to watch.  The more I look at the new curriculum: Come and Follow Me, the more excited I become.  The Lord is indeed hastening his work.  I feel strongly that more evidence of this hastening will be coming in the next few years.

What a wonderful time to be a part of the Lord's work.  I am inspired, re-energized  and more committed to do my part and be a better disciple.



3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful plan! I'm also really excited for the new curriculum-- it looks like it's a bit of Socratic method incorporated with how the Savior taught, and all with a goal of helping youth gain and strengthen testimonies. Truly Divine!!! (I hope you're all settling in well!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea! Denton called me from Show Low "Mom! Did you hear?!" as I bawled. His papers are almost ready so this is MONTHS earlier than we were anticipating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about him when it was announced. I wondered if he would be bummed the announcement didn't come 9 months earlier. For you I'm glad it didn't; I won't even mention Truman.

      Delete