I have never been comfortable with the concept of tolerance. Yes, it is good to show unconditional love, but if I practice "tolerance" then I cannot judge. Does that mean that I ignore what I believe is right, true, and good? Judging is important; discrimination is important, needed, and natural.
I have been reading a Princess Academy and the Hope Chest Journey: Rediscovering the Lost Arts of Godly Womanhood by my friend and mentor Donna Goff. In this thesis Donna spoke of the difference between grace and tolerance. Grace means favor, kindness, esteem. Some of its synonyms are attractiveness, charm, love, leniency, embellish, beautify enhance, honor. It is charity; the pure love of Christ, it is long-suffering. If you have grace you know the difference between right and wrong, but you are forgiving and have unconditional love.
Tolerance on the other hand does not distinguish between right and wrong. All views are equal.
Donna mentioned that grace is mentioned in the bible 237 times; tolerance never.
So I had an ah-ha moment. It isn't tolerance that I should be exercising but grace. I was buying into the modern showing-everyone-tolerance movement. I should instead be nurturing and cultivating grace. (Why do I fall for the philosophies of man?)
After discussing the difference between grace and tolerance, Donna proceeds to discuss many aspects of grace and how one can cultivate grace: comeliness, eloquence, grace of writing, etiquette, sisterhood, diplomacy, generosity, hospitality, hand work, and making a home.
Flora, Thanks for sharing this! I just talked to Jacqueline and Jessica today at park day. I was trying to explain something about "having tolerance" dealing with the scenario I was speaking to them about. After using that T word, I stopped..,. and said, "or whatever". I knew tolerance was not the proper word. I knew I misunderstood it's meaning. Thanks for directing me to her book.
ReplyDelete~~Amanda Vance~~