February was
good. Steven started to have some
conflicts with Lori, personality differences. I worked on and completed my big
huge TPA assignment. That was a lot of
work and a huge accomplishment. I sent
the family away almost every Saturday so that I could work on it and get it
done. It was good, but tiring. Towards the end of the month, Lori had a
couple of sick days, and the kids spent a few
days here, a few with the Walton's and a few with the Atwood's. The change got hard on Joshua. For about a
week, he just wouldn't stop crying for more than a short time. He is such a happy boy, this change was quite
alarming. I began to be anxious for this
to be done; I want to be back with my family.
It got to be too much for Lori so the kids are split up. She still has Daniel, Joshua, and
Rebecca. Steven and Isaac are at
the Walton's. It is working out very well.
March. I'm almost there. The plan was for me to teach practically
exclusively for a week, then officially alone for 2 weeks. The last full week I am to pass it back to
the host teacher and spend some time observing other classrooms. I am almost
done. The transition seemed to go well.
I did the whole week alone with her in the room only occasionally. She still did a lot of the discipline
though. This made me a bit anxious,
because up until now, that was the one thing I had not really taken over. It was going well though; I knew they would
test me and I felt prepared.
I was not! I was
totally taken aback by the level of testing and challenging I received. These sweet lovely children turned into
monsters. OK, not really. But they needed to know what I expected of
them and I had failed to clarify that for them.
For 2 days it went from bad to worse.
In fact on day 3 the principal came in for a scheduled observation to
witness, without a doubt, the worst
lesson I had ever given. I had 5 very
active boys all defiantly not participating.
Of course no one can learn in that type of environment. It was awful.
I received a blessing that night.
The principal gave me some good suggestions though and I put them to
work the next day. It began to get
better. That day I had an observation
from my clinical supervisor. I did not
have time to talk with him that day because the observed lesson was sandwiched
between other learning segments. But
everyone else did. My principal and host
teacher gave him the run down. I met
with him the following morning. He also
gave me some good suggestions full of constructive criticism and some good
solid council. I put them into practice
right away. It got better. Slowly but surely. It is Saturday. Come Monday I will have to assure the kids
that I still mean what I say I mean.
Yes, the full time
student teaching is hard, but that is not all.
Yes, it is hard for me to dominate a room when that is not in my nature,
but that is not all. Yes, I am getting
"trunky" and want to be done, but it is more than that. The more I am immersed in the school system,
they more I want to get out of there. I
don't like the environment. 25 kids and
one adult is not just unnatural, I think it is unhealthy. Those trouble makers are fabulous kids. I love each one of them. They are brilliant and I wish I could do more
for them. But then there are the quiet
ones who are easily overlooked, my heart yearns for them too.
I just cant put it
into words. I have a constant anxiety
knot in my stomach. I don't like the
system, but I have to learn and live the system, it is a literal hour by hour
battle for me as I have to talk myself into continuing. I don't understand why it affects me so
strongly. I can't bad talk the system;
after all, there are good things happening there. But it is definitely not perfect and I long to have the freedom to teach academics through the Spirit. I am not good enough yet to accomplish that in the regular classroom. Maybe someday I will be.
I'm getting it
though, it is getting better and easier.
10 days. One more week of full
time, then I begin to pass it back. My
course work is done. My big huge
assignment is done. My portfolio is done
(minus the letters of recommendation that I still have to earn). I only have 10 more days. I can do this.
Yet through it all
there has been so many tender mercies from my Father in Heaven to assure me and
help me. The morning of my worse day I
read from the Lorenzo Snow lesson for this Sunday. It said:
“My
young friends, there is an opportunity for you to become great—just as great as
you wish to be. In starting out in life you may set your hearts upon things
very difficult to attain to, but possibly within your reach. In your first
efforts to gratify your desires you may fail, and your continued efforts may
not prove what may be termed a success. But inasmuch as your efforts were
honest efforts, and inasmuch as your desires were founded in righteousness, the
experience you obtain while pursuing your hearts’ desires must necessarily be
profitable to you, and even your mistakes, if mistakes you make, will be turned
to your advantage.”
Oh thank you! I was finally able to cry.
Yesterday as I drove
to school I looked up to a flock of birds flying overhead. Among them was a bald eagle. He perched in a tree just in front of
me. I thought of Mom. She spent enough time with the Indian tribes
to put importance on the Eagle. She
always felt that it was good if an eagle flew over you as you were driving
along. "Mom, did you send me that
eagle?" And I knew she had. I knew that she was sitting right next to me
and that she had been right next to me through this whole thing. She wouldn't have left me through this. This is and amazingly difficult thing for me
to do. She wouldn't leave me.
The steady stream of tender mercies are overwhelming. How grateful I am for a Father in Heaven who loves me.

You are amazing!
ReplyDeleteKeep going! I'm so proud of you!
Flora, that was a wonderful post. I am not sure how I feel . . . inspired, scared, undecided? Good luck with your remaining time at the school! You are amazing - keep it up!
ReplyDelete