The other day I was speaking with a friend who is debating whether or not to homeschool her children. Our local school district is going through some big changes. Arizona is having budget issues so the state has cut funding for schools. Blue Ridge now has “Open Enrollment” to increase the student numbers. At the same time they are letting teachers and aides go. They want more revenue, so they are increasing numbers, and class sizes. Each grade will increase in size about 5-8 students. That makes about 28, kindergartners to a class, and some of the Middle School classes will be at about 40. At the same time student test scores have gone down. Blue Ridge use to be the unchallenged leader as an A+ school in our area. The tests scores have been high for a long time. In the past two years the schools’ scores have dropped about 2 points on a 10 point scale. Now they are equivalent to the rival school Show Low and its other neighbors. I can’t imagine scores regaining their earlier high as the planned changes are implemented. This parent has been attending the planning meetings and is aware of what is happening. I am curious what will happen over the next couple of years; I would imagine that more families will be looking for other options.
This particular parent I was speaking with is not sold on homeschooling per se, but wants something different. She made several suggestions. 1. A coop, where parents get together and each teach a different subject. 2. A group of 5-10 families hiring their own teacher. 3. Starting a private school. I am open to all of these options. I would love to see them all given a try.
Maybe I will be ready, with my teaching degree in hand, just in time for the flood to alternative education.
No comments:
Post a Comment