So we managed to get his weight back up. Big relief! But in the process of supplementing, my milk supply went way down. The doc said that as he nurses, my milk will increase. Tuesday night I came to conclusion it wasn't happening. I needed my milk up so that he could learn to latch on, but I needed him to latch on in order for my milk to go up. AARRGGHH!!!
Wednesday morning I called Le Leche League. May I just say, I LOVE LE LECHE LEAGUE!!! Julie made a two hour drive (1 hour each way) to get me an awesome real double pump. She came to my home, set me up, and did her best to assess Joshua. She said, "If they aren't nursing, it is because they cannot nurse. All instincts are pointing them towards that end so if it isn't happening, something is in the way. She noticed a few things that may be causing the problem. His tongue isn't doing a wave action like it is suppose to, but is bunched up in the middle. Consequentially, he is trying to compensate by using his entire mouth muscles to do the job. But this is fatiguing. He tries but tires and lets go, tries and lets go. She noticed that his lower jaw is receded. She admits that she does not know if it is enough to cause problems but she suspects that it is. It is called mandibular hypoplasia. This could have affected the development of his tongue. She recommended a breastfeeding specialist in Seattle. I set up an appointment for next Thursday. Julie's help was spread over the course of the day. She came, left, and returned with more information and pointers. She left me with a finger feeder. This little device will syphon the milk through a flexible tube I place on my finger, he then sucks on my finger instead of plastic nipples. This will help reduce nipple confusion. She showed me a different position that would help him latch on better with his jaw. I was SO grateful for her help.
But wow, what a lot of work this is going to take. I am already tired and overly emotional. Do I call the Relief Society for more help, dinners and child care? Do I put my other children second for the foreseeable future? If so, I have no right to return to college classes in July. Is all of this worth it? Is it necessary? I'll have to figure it out. I will continue down this path for as long as I feel impressed to do so. I just hope I quickly learn the lessons of this trial so that it won't be long.
And then to top it off, he now has thrush; just one more thing to make this difficult.
Well tomorrow will be an important day. Isaac is going to be baptised and confirmed, and then Joshua will receive his baby blessing. We are doing it at the same time so that family will not have to make extra trips. Jonny's Dad is here from Arizona for the events, so this is the time. I'll try to get in a shower before then.
No comments:
Post a Comment