Thursday, July 22, 2010

Art

I have never been much of an "art lover." I guess I just never really understood the hype over some of these famous artists. I have become kind of picky about what types of art I like. A few years ago George Wythe College commissioned a painting that I loved; it is entitled "Seeds of Greatness." you can see it here. In this painting are elements that represent many of the things I want for my family and their education. The home represents safety; The farm represents the value of work, working together as a family, opportunities to teach children. The light represents the divine overseeing our lives. In the basket is a copy of the Bible and Shakespeare. The father is gently guiding and teaching. The younger son too is growing and will soon be ready to be mentored by his father. I decided I would like a copy of this painting in my home.

Three years ago, some friends and I traveled to Salt Lake for an Education conference. While there we visited the Deseret Book store. I found my painting, and it was even on sale. As I continued to look though the other paintings, I found another one that just spoke to me. It was of Christ surrounded by His sheep. I decided to look who the author was. It was the same one. This happened once more before leaving the store. I decided I must just like this artist.

For some reason I decided to look up the artist today. His name is Jon McNaughton. Low and behold, he has painted other pictures that I have seen around that I liked and spoke to me. Like this one. What do you know?!? I really do like this artist. I have enjoyed exploring his online gallery. I hope you enjoy it too.

3 comments:

  1. It seems you like representative art. Check out the works of Minerva Teichert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hers are interesting, but they don't speak to me like McNaughton's paintings do. I'm not sure why.

    ReplyDelete