Friday, July 16, 2010

A Family Unitied

Apparently Mom's current cancer is the cause of her physical deterioration over the last 3 years. It is not uncommon for breast cancer to return years later in the nervous system. Yet when that happens life expectancy is usually less than 6 months when treated, less than 5 weeks when not. So Mom's case is very unusual. The cancer apparently has "encrusted" itself on her spinal cord and was not floating around in the fluid. This is why the 4 lumbar punctures of 2 years ago never found it. They seemed sure it was cancer, it acted like cancer, but they couldn't find it. They finally determined that it must be some unknown virus that swept through her body.


Since this cancer is not acting typical, the typical time lines are not applicable. But the oncologist is sure that she won't last the year. If she continues to eat such small meals, it will be just a couple of months.


So we are getting ready. My father and siblings met via conference call last Sunday. I LOVE my siblings. They really are the best and I miss them. Even through the seriousness of the topic, the lightheartedness and humor was shining through.


Sam is flying in tomorrow with his family. We will have a chance to see him and Emily and meet my niece Abby tomorrow at the Volkman family reunion. Can't wait!!

2 comments:

  1. Flora,
    I am so sorry to hear about your mother. My mother passed away Feb. 09 and it is a very hard thing to live through. I am glad your family is pulling together because it is the only way to make it through! I am thinking about your family and you all are in my prayers. Give your mom my love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ami, I am sorry you lost your mom. She was such a good lady. Thank you for your kind wishes.

    ReplyDelete