Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Family Reading

Over the last couple of months we have done much better with bed time reading. We read Charlotte's Web, The Wizard of Oz, How to Eat Fried Worms, and are now finishing up Pinocchio. I was not planning on How to Eat Fried Worms, but Jonny got the movie from Netflix, so I thought we would read it first and then watch it. I remember my teacher reading it when I was in about fourth grade. I really didn't like it then and that hasn't changed much. But it was interesting to compare with the movie. The book was about accepting dares and how that almost ruined the friendships of the boys. The movie changed the premise to all about bullying. Reading about worms before bed turned out to not be such a great idea. We had to finish that one during day light hours.

We watched the Wizard of Oz after reading that book too. Isaac has always loved the scarecrow and now Rebecca has to carry around her oil can.

I love Pinocchio. We read it about 4 years ago too. I was so impressed with how undisney it was. Every time Pinocchio made a mistake it was bigger than the last and it took that much longer to recover and pull himself back. By the time he finally becomes a real boy, he has truly had a change of heart. Jonny doesn't sit and listen, but he does overhear sometimes. He laughed when the cricket told Pinocchio that "boys who do not obey their parents and listen to bad companions all turn into little donkeys." We would have finished it last week, but I got a cold and would lose my voice after a half a page.

I wonder what we should read next.

No comments:

Post a Comment