I am taking a literature analysis class right now. One of the assignments deals with subjectivity. We all have subjectivities. This is natural. For this assignment we are asked to analyze a work and attempt to discover the authors subjectivities. We then think of our own subjectivities and apply it to the role of a teacher. What if I am required to teach something contrary to my subjectivity or if my subjectivity differs from a student in my class, how would I handle that? I certainly do not want to alienate a students or create an us verses them atmosphere is the class. So how would I go about mediating my role as teacher and my subjectivity.
The underlying premise in this line of thinking is that it is unacceptable for a teacher to expose or talk about his or her personal world view. I disagree with this assumption. Granted, I would not want to ridicule or belittle anyone just because he or she thinks differently than I do. I do not have to push my view on others, but do I really need to deny that I have any? It does not seem right to be forced to divorce myself from my worldview for a few hours each day. To do so for the years of my career, at some level would I not become divided? If I deny my beliefs, then I am separating my job from my passion. If I attempt to teach without my passion, then I cannot share my passion for learning with my students. If I cannot share my passion and love of learning with my students, then I cannot inspire them to find their own passion. No wonder students often feel that their teachers do not really care about what they are teaching. Yes, I suppose I could parrot the curriculum. But that is not why I want to teach. I want to share my love of learning with others; that requires passion.
Why are we so afraid of offending others? Yes, I disagree with others about religion or politics, but we usually have more in common than not. I believe it is certainly possible to be diplomatic; to acknowledge that there are many points of view. To even discuss those differences. I don't have to insist that Snape (Harry Potter character) really is a bad guy and alienate you just because you think he was a good guy. We could discuss it and we both might learn something new.
To take it one step further, Steven pointed out that after lessons at church his teacher usually bares her testimony about the topic of the lesson. Then she encourages the students to pray and find out if it is true. What if a teacher could bare testimony about the math principle just taught? Truth is truth after all. OK, maybe math is a little too much. But what about other topics? What about evolution, or climate change, or civil rights, or repealing the 17th amendment or...?
Maybe I am thinking too hard.
Or not hard enough.
C.S. Lewis would have been able to think this through much better than I did. I am amazed at his ability to take a line of reasoning through several steps to its logical conclusion. I am not that good of a thinker. I can follow him for about two steps. Then I just sit there with my mouth open, amazed at how well he continues for another 5 or 8 steps, long past the point of my brain getting muddled. The man was a genius. Anyway, I'll work on it. Maybe in another few decades I will be able to come back to this topic and do it right.
No comments:
Post a Comment