Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Reading

After we finished Pinocchio, we started on Heidi. Have I told you how much I love that book? I love that book! It is so sweet, she has such faith, and she blesses everyone she meets. Of course there is the not so subtle 'nature can heal anything' theme, but I go for that anyway. I was really struck this time with the simplicity of how they lived. I am going into minimalist mode anyway, so that is probably why I noticed it so much.

Then we started on the Little house books. I didn't know if the boys would like it especially after just reading a girl type book (Heidi), but they are liking it. We have read the Big Woods, Prairie and Plum Creek, now we are reading On the Shores of Silver Lake. When it snowed last week, they begged me to make the snow candy Laura described in Little house in the Big Woods. You cook the candy and then dribble it on snow in curlicues. Well ours looked more like spiders, but it was pretty good. Not the best molasses candy, but not bad. I would like to try it again with real maple syrup.

But I am inspired again how simple they have it. I walked around the house today tempted to chuck just about everything. It wouldn't take much to get me to do it: just a little encouragement.

2 comments:

  1. aaah.....my kids loved all those books too. Ella read the whole series the summer before 3rd grade.
    I've been reading Louis L'Amore lately and thinking the same thing, they lived so simply. I even bought rock salt so I can attempt some salt pork. I think I'll start with a few strips of bacon, see if I can keep from poisoning people on a small scale first, then move on to chops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to a smoke house a couple of weeks ago. It was fun. I didn't expect a tour of a smoke house to be fun, but it was and we learned a lot. We had just read about how Pa had smoked his meat in the hollow log.

    Let me know how the pork salting goes. If it works, I might try it.

    ReplyDelete