Saturday, August 8, 2009

Balance

I have been pondering the concept of balance lately. We are told that we need to maintain balance in our lives; too much of one activity can throw off the balance of our lives. But how can I “maintain” balance? I thought of it in the sense of a balance scale or a teeter totter; I felt that I needed to have both sides level in order to maintain anything. I was continually frustrated because everything was always rocking one way or the other; I felt I had no control.

I finally realized that "level" and standing still was not natural. The world and universe are always in flux. If not, there is no growth or progression, only stagnation. I realized that instead of trying to keep things level and control every aspect of life, (I'm not a very controlling person, so this was very unnatural) I needed to learn the art of rocking back and forth. There are times and seasons to our lives, waves and calm. Balance does not fit.

I heard another good analogy recently: That of juggling. "How can you juggle everything you do?" Answer: "Exactly, I juggle." When you juggle, it doesn't matter how many balls you have in the air, you still only have one, maybe two, in your hands at one time. You take care of what is needed and trust that that ball will come around again later in its turn.

I had taken “maintain” too literally. (Maybe it is the wrong word in this instance.) I don’t need to maintain balance in my life. I need to instead focus on what is important now, know when to deviate from the plan, and trust that when I am making good choices, it will all come around again.

No comments:

Post a Comment