Yesterday we went down to the Show Low Historical Museum. It was pretty fun, but most surprising to me was that the kids like it too. I have never really done that sort of thing. Isaac would always run all over the place and I would spend my time chasing him. But I realized that we needed more field trips this year and that it was time to brave it. On Thursday mornings at the museum, the "carvers" are there. So I figured that if the kids are bored sick with displays, at least we could watch the wood carvers for a bit and we could leave after 10 minutes.
Luckily the lady at the door didn't freak out when I brought my four children in. She gave us a tour and then we watched the carvers. The museum is in the old Police station building, so they had a 3 bed holding cell complete with toilet visible down the hall. So the kids got to be in jail. We saw the first switchboard in the area, old typewriters and computers. Rebecca LOVED the doll collection in the antique toy room. Steven liked the soldier room. I loved the old kitchen replica room. We saw an old drill press and jigsaw in the blacksmith shop room. We saw 1500 year old Indian pots from the 4 corners area that were in perfect condition. Then when the tour was over we were able to watch the wood carvers work on their projects. Isaac kept going around the table asking each person what they were making. To top it off, the kids got suckers on their way out. So our first field trip of the school year went much better than expected.
No comments:
Post a Comment