Well, I have been trying some new recipes this week. Traci's Transformational Recipe's came in the mail so I have been trying some out. I have to go slow for three reasons. One, I have to gather some ingredients. Two, I do not want to wear myself out. But most importantly, I do not want to wear out the taste buds of my family.
Several years ago I began making soy milk. We liked it pretty well. But I eventually got out of the habit. But now that Jonny and I both have thyroid issues, I want to stay away from too much soy. This week I started making almond milk. This I like much better. The down side is that almonds are SO much more expensive than soy beans (soy beans being dirt cheap. I just can't get over the mark up on soy milk. I made it for less than 20 cents a gallon). Rebecca loves the almond milk. She hasn't touched cow's milk since she first tasted the almond milk. Daniel likes it too. Steven isn't so thrilled, although he has never been a milk drinker anyway. Jonny said, "I could get used to this." Isaac was funny though. Out of all of us, Isaac is the one most sensitive to cow's milk and the most addicted to it. So much so that his Doc was surprised that he was not anemic because of the amount of cow's milk he consumes. His Iron levels are very low, but not to the anemic levels yet. With Isaac's autistic tendencies he is very resistant to change, especially about food. I said to Jonny: "I wonder what would happen if I washed out the milk jug and put almond milk in it instead." Within the hour I found out. Isaac apparently mistook Daniel's cup of almond milk for his cup of cow's milk. Isaac said, "Mom, my milk tastes funny. It tastes like honey and nuts." Jonny and I just laughed.
The peanut butter cookies were a great success. The potato casserole didn't go over quite as well. The almond milk ice cream was liked by those who liked the almond milk and not by those who didn't. (more for me!!)
Today I made sprouted wheat bread. First you soak the wheat and blend it. Then you add the yeast, oil, and honey. My water was hotter than I had realized and so I killed off some of the yeast. Consequentially, it didn't rise as much as it should have, but it tasted good. Jonny has always been real sensitive to whole wheat bread and likes the idea of a more digestible type of bread. Once I learned about how flour becomes mucus producing when heated, I was wondering what to do. I am hoping this might be the answer.
ok, so you sprout the wheat, then blend it and use it in bread?
ReplyDeleteBasically yes. This site http://www.masterjules.net/biblebread.htm uses strait sprouted grain and blends it. It makes a gummy dough and then she adds the yeast, honey, and oil. I haven't tried that way yet. I used this Traci's method. She said that she hasn't found a way to blend the sprouted grain without gumming up her machine so she needs to add water. Since she adds water she then needs to add flour. The flour she uses is sprouted grain that she then dries in a dehydrator. Since it has been sprouted first, it has all the benefits of sprouted grain. The phytic acid is eliminated, the gluten content is decreased (if you happen to be sensitive) and it has all of those enzymes sprouting gives. So her recipe is wheat, flour, water, yeast, honey, and oil. I can give you more details if you want.
ReplyDelete